Getting Involved


To be a Councillor you need to:

  • Care about getting the best for your Community
  • Have a willingness to represent your electorate
  • Want to make a difference
  • Undertake training courses
  • Adhere to the Code of Conduct
  • Register your interests
  • Have the time
  • Be committed and enthusiastic

How much time does it take?

Quite often Councillors say that their duties occupy them for a couple of hours a week. Some Councillors spend more time than this and others less, it depends on their level of involvement.


Training can open Councillors’ eyes to new possibilities, and it is essential that they undertake training to fully partake in their role. A wide range of training for Councillors is available through the Norfolk Association of Local Councils.

Standing as a Parish or Town Councillor

Anyone who fulfils the following criteria may stand as a Parish, Village or Town Councillor.
A Parish or Town Councillor must be:

  • A British subject, or a citizen of the Commonwealth or the European Union;

  • On the ‘relevant date’ (ie the day on which you are nominated, or if there is a poll on the day of the election) be 18 years of age or over.


  • Be a local government elector for the Council area for which you want to stand on the ‘relevant date’;

  • OR have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the council area during the whole of the 12 months preceding that day;

  • OR had your principal or only place of work in the council area during that same period;

  • OR have resided in the council area during that 12 month period;

  • You can also satisfy the criteria to be elected if you have lived in the council area or within 4.8km (3 miles) of it for the whole of the 12 months preceding the ‘relevant date.’

You cannot stand for election if:

  • You are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order;

  • You have, within five years before the day of the election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine;

  • You work for the Council you want to become a Councillor for (but you can work for other local authorities, including the principal authorities that represent the same area).